Restart utility service after a shut-off

If your energy, telephone, or water has been shut off because you fell behind on your bills, the CPUC may be able to help you get your services restarted.

In order to restart your service, the utility will usually require that you:

  • Pay half of your outstanding bill.
  • Pay a security deposit, which can be up to two-times the amount of your highest monthly bill over the last 12 months.
  • Set up a payment plan to pay off the remainder of your outstanding bill over the next 12 months.

For assistance with restarting your utility service, please call us at: 1-800-649-7570. We can walk you through the process, and connect you with someone from the utility who can help.

Please be aware that the CPUC regulates privately owned electric, natural gas, telephone, water, and sewer utilities. Unfortunately, we cannot help you resolve issues with publicly owned or municipal utilities, such as SMUD or the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. More information about areas not regulated by the CPUC.

Start, stop, or transfer utility service

Residential and business customers can start, stop, or transfer electricity or natural gas service by contacting a utility provider in their area:

  1. Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E)
  2. Southern California Edison (SCE) 
  3. San Diego Gas and Electric (SDG&E) 
    Residential: 1-800-411-7374; Business: 1-800-336-7343
  4. Southern California Gas Company (SoCalGas) 
    Residential: 1-877-238-0092; Business 1-800-427-2000

Surcharges and Taxes that appear on your bill

The Commission, in Proceeding R.05-04-005, adopted regulations consistent with both statutory guidance and market conditions to rely more heavily on competitive forces to produce "just and reasonable" rates for California's telephone consumers. Though, basic services remain subject to tariff filing with the Commission, service providers may adjust rates in response to the market conditions, effective when filed.

Small, rural local exchange carriers are subject to regulations that minimize any basic telephone service rate disparity between rural and metropolitan areas. These companies are subject to stricter tariff review than are URF companies. For more information, see the California High Cost Fund-A page on the Commission's website.

PUC User Fee

The Commission determines annually the appropriate CPUC fee to be paid by the telecommunications carriers. This fee is based on the telecommunications carrier's gross intrastate revenue excluding inter-carrier sales, equipment sales and directory advertising. The purpose of this fee is to finance the Commission's annual operating budget.

I Need Help with My Utilities

The CPUC’s Consumer Affairs Branch (CAB) helps consumers resolve disputes with their energy, water, and telecommunications utilities.

Learn More

Programs for Consumer

There are many state and federal programs designed to help you manage your utility bills. These programs are...

Learn More